Monday, May 9, 2011

Natural Parenting

Oh my goodness the more kids I have the more into Natural parenting I become!  I am a breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, natural feeding fool!

This is a listing of things that contain lead.  Lead!  That we are putting in our kids bodies.  This is one reason I am slowly turning to the "old" ways of doing things.  Yes it takes longer to feed your kids homemade natural foods and to cloth diaper your kids, but good grief think of all the chemicals you can avoid!  Here are some links with info.

Here is one on Lead in Juice and other food
http://www.inhabitots.com/85-of-kids-drinks-snacks-could-contain-high-levels-of-lead/

Oh how I despise baby food.  This is something I stopped using after the twins.  The crap that is in those store brand baby food containers.  Yuck!  So with Jasperlyn we skipped the pureed goop all together.  How many mammals in the animal kingdom do you see weaning their babies off milk and forcing food in their mouth before they can eat on their own?  Now I still believe in taking it slow and eating new foods carefully.


LLL suggests this progression when introducing your baby (6 months or older) to solid foods:
  • Ripe banana, avocado, yam, or sweet potato (sweet like breastmilk)
  • Meats
  • Whole-grain breads and cereals (rather than baby cereals)
    [wheat and corn are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
  • Fresh fruits
    [citrus fruits are usually delayed until baby is 9-12 months old]
  • Vegetables
  • Dairy products after 9 months
    [cow's milk is usually delayed until baby is 12-18 months old]

As for cloth diapering.  I get such satisfaction out of it.  It really is not that much more inconvenient.  I don't think.  Instead of carrying dirty diapers in nice smelling small disposable bags, I carry dirty cloth inserts in a wet bag.  It's like 2-3 extra loads of laundry a week.  Depending on how many inserts you have.  It really makes me feel like I am taking care of my baby.  Without cutting corners.

Now I have nothing against other momma's who use disposables or whatever.  I did with my other children.  I now do wish I could go back and do everything that I am doing now with them.  But you learn with each child and that is just how it is.

I could have saved like $8000 if I had cloth diapered my three other children.  I mean that is the more than the cost I paid for my van!  And that is just the monetary aspect of it.  Think of the health benefits.  Check out this link!

http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php



Here is one on BPA free products STILL containing BPA!  I don't use a bottle for my kids, they prefer the boob, but still thought it would be good to share info.  
I breastfeed because it is normal and natural. Research that says breastfed babies are smarter is incorrect.  Breastfed babies are normal.  Formula fed babies tend to be less intelligent would be a more correct statement.  Before everyone freaks out, I realize not everyone can breastfeed.  I myself had to feed my twins formula after they were 4 months old because of bad advise and not enough support to continue.  

This is a reason that the Human milk banks around the world need to expand and advertise more.  The cans of formula themselves say they are not as good as breast milk.  Instead of eating an apple would you each a chemically created ball that said on its box that it has many of the same ingredients of an apple?  Or does that sound crazy?  Just saying.  It is insane to me that women are nearly encouraged to give up.  Any time some nursing complication comes up parents, nurses, even doctors say to supplement with formula.  Which is the worse thing you can do!  

Again I am not talking about people who have no choice.  I think there should be more milk donating places around to offer moms the option of continuing to feed their baby human milk.  It was made for human babies.  I don't know how many kittens I watched die because they had to be put on kitten formula because they were away from their mom.  It is crazy to me. But again to each their own.  Some women are so disgusted at the thought of breastfeeding they berate people like me who breastfeed.  They say it is disgusting.  LMBO  It's the most natural thing I can do with my baby.  But the USA especially has sexualized breasts to such a point that it is disturbing to see a little girl pretend to breastfeed her baby doll.  Seriously?  What is this world coming to?

Enough rambling for the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment